|THE P.E.O. SISTERHOOD was founded January 21, 1869, at Iowa Wesleyan College, in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. It is a philanthropic and educational organization interested in bringing to women increased opportunities for higher education. Today, the organization reaches around the world through its efforts to provide educational opportunities for women.
The P.E.O. Sisterhood maintains five educational projects:
- P.E.O. Educational Loan Fund is a revolving loan fund established in 1907 to lend money to women needing it for education beyond high school.
- Cottey Junior College is a fully accredited liberal arts college for women at Nevada, Missouri, owned and operated by the P.E.O. Sisterhood since 1927.
- P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship Fund was established in 1949 to provide scholarships for interantional women students to pursue graduate study in the United States and Canada.
- P.E.O. Program for Continuing Education was established in 1973 to provide grants to women in the United States and Canada for purposeful education goals for self or service.
- P.E.O. Scholar Awards was established in 1991 to provide awards to women of the United States and Canada who are pursuing advanced degrees or are engaged in advanced study and research.
There are two P.E.O. Chapters in Jackson, Missouri: Chapter DJ and Chapter LA.
|Officers for 2003-2004